Roanoke Route Walking Tour Stop 15: Presbyterian Parsonage

Presbyterian Parsonage, 1913

208 S. Oak St.

A well-to-do rancher who moved to Roanoke from Virginia, Charles Stone worked for years at the Continental State Bank. A widower, he donated a stained-glass window in memory of his wife and infant son to the Presbyterian Church, one of the buildings he constructed in Roanoke. Mr. Stone lived for a time at the Eureka Hotel, owned by the Brand family, before building a home at the south end of Oak Street in 1913. The structure is a fine example of pyramidal folk-style architecture. Upon Mr. Stone’s death, the building was donated to the Presbyterian Church for use as the parsonage. Since then it has housed various businesses. 

Charles Stone was so close to the Brand family that he was called ‘Uncle Stone.’ Here he’s shown riding in a horse-and-buggy with Una Brand. Stone 2013727Stone and Una 2013725

The only historical photos available of the parsonage are these aerial shots. Parsonage aerial 201213168Parsonage close 20102140