Roaoke Route Walking Tour Stop 16: American La France 1923 Fire Truck

American La France Fire Truck, 1923

500 S. Oak St.

Roanoke bought this 1923 American La France fire truck on April 15, 1945, for $500 from the Fort Worth Fire Department. Until then, Roanoke had to use buckets hand-to-hand to put out fires. Like Fort Worth’s fire trucks, it was painted white. It served as the city’s primary pumper from 1945 to 1976. 

After its retirement, the city sent it to the Texas Prison System in Huntsville for restoration and loaned it out to other departments. Eventually, Roanoke lost track of the engine until 2000, when Roanoke Fire Chief Brian Hecht found it at Dallas’ Fire Station No. 16, in a storage area maintained by the Texas Fire Museum.

The fire engine used to be stored at the Old Fire Station at 200 Main St., but it was moved to its new home after the new City Hall was built in 2019. The engine now runs during special occasions such as the Fire Department Open House and Hometown Holidays. 


black and white photo of 1923 fire engine The American La France fire truck, Engine No. 1, after the City of Roanoke purchased it in 1945.


1923 fire engine working on a scene 1923 fire engine in parade with men carrying American flags and driving the engine down the road

Engine No. 1 in its white paint, the color of City of Fort Worth fire trucks. 


1923 fire engine in parade turning corner carrying people and flanked with American Flags on engine

The fire truck after its 1976 restoration to its original factory red paint color.


1923 red fire engine in front of buildings

The 1923 American La France after its 2000 restoration by the City of Roanoke Fire Department.